Follow by Email

Sunday, November 4, 2007

DEAREST RETHIE. MY SISTER/FRIEND FOREVER


Always a dear friend in my heart.


This weekend I decided on a whim to try to find a childhood friend on line. I have done this in the past, but unsuccesfully. We have all had friends that we have lost track of over the years and just sort of knew that one day we would be back in touch and catch up all over again. The last time I saw her I was probably 18 years old. (I'm now 47) We both live in California, I have even gone by our old address on Loveland Street over the years and had visits with her brothers and sisters, but not in a very long time.
We lived next door as young girls. We spent more night together than apart. She had three younger siblings so we always had plenty to play school, store, and my personal favorite... church. We would even put on shows dancing on my mom's coffee table. You know the dear sweet friend, the one who is like a sister to you, so much so that the years go by and she is still with you? In your heart and thoughts.
I found her younger brother on line. He had a my space and his own clothing business and lives in California too. I remember him as an adorbale blonde that we would dress up, along with neighborhood dogs ( I can't rmember for the life of me where these dogs came from), and pull around in wagons for our parade. Later, boys, weddings, children.....time slipped by.
~~~Today I found out as I read the condolences on his blog that she has forever slipped out of my reach as well. In first looking at his list of photos I was so happy to see her, how pretty she was. I always said she looked like "bewitched" as a child, and she still did. As I read further, I realized the condolences were for her little sister, a dear girl nicknamed cookie. There were lots ofs " They are together now". It broke my heart that I never got another chance. She never saw my children, I never saw hers grown. I will always remember her as that sweet friend that talked me to sleep while playing Bobby Sherman records every night, and because I was an only child, went on all of my family vacations with us. I will miss her. I wish I would have missed her sooner.

~~~~~~I just want to give a kind, gentle nudge to remind us that we shouldn't wait for the right or convenient time.....but send that little card or make that phone call, even if it has been a long time. The road to a friends house is never long.
Blessings,
Karen


4 comments:

Mary said...

Karen - I know just what you mean - we leave it too late and then they are gone and become just a memory. At least you tried and, sad as the outcome is, you made the effort to catch up. I'm sure you made a big difference in her life, and she in yours, when you both were young and needed a friend.

Your banner is beautiful!

Thanks for visiting - I'll be posting more on my trip to England, including MY special childhood friend, my dear cousin whom I just visited. (She recently suffered her second heart attack and is partially crippled with arthritis - so I needed to see her!).

Nunnie's Attic said...

What a moving tribute! I'm so sorry that you lost your friend. But believe me, she's with you in spirit. And she's watching you grieve.

Love,
Julie

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Karen,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I know that it is so sad to know a friend is now "gone"...and it's a loss, even though you haven't seen each other for a while.

Thinking of you, sweetie.
xo Lidy

Miss Sandy said...

Oh Karen, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved childhood friend. You post is great reminder not to let time slip by, leave nothing unsaid, and to love lavishly.
Blessings,
Miss Sandy