Follow by Email

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A tiny nest for a very tiny bird....


Today I went for a visit to my favorite Nursery in the City of Orange. Here is one of four recently hatched hummingbirds making her new home in a beautiful gazebo This is her little nest. I have never seen a hummingbird nest. There were four of them.
This little (but very heavy) Bunny is my Garden Mascot. She has been to both of my homes and watches over all of my precious blooms. Today I think she is especially happy that the sun has come out to warm her face. I think she is bending her head to get a little more... This is a bloom that is a little early.....Isn't she wonderful? The Eden isn't very aromatic, but so beautiful to gaze upon. Today it was 84 degrees here in Southern Calif. It was 54 just a week ago and freezing. I haven't ventured outside much unless it was to let the dogs out or to run to the mailbox in the rain...but now.....


9 comments:

Jillian said...

Oh boy do I wish it were 54 degrees here! This morning it was 18...and I definitely don't venture out then!

Thanks for stopping by my blog...I enjoyed your glimpses of spring!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Love the Eden! It's beautiful.:)

xo Lidy

avalonrosedesign said...

Oh my gosh! 84 degrees! I'm so jealous! It's 23 here, and we got about 2 more inches of snow today! Can you tell I have Spring fever? Quite badly, actually....thanks for sharing the pics....it was nice to see GREEN again! LOL!

Cathy

Farm Chick said...

Love the hummingbird photo! I remember the first time I saw one of their little nests- it was still attached to a tree limb that had fallen on the ground, and I just looked at it for the longest time in AMAZEMENT at how tiny it was! I can't wait for mine to return after being gone for the winter... (I guess they're smart enough to go where it's 84 degrees! LOL)

WoodPelletGuru said...

I have not yet heard the return of birds to New Hampshire this year. Thanks for sharing the hope that they will return (along with fairer weather) soon!

Jen r. said...

Great pictures!Oh to dream of 54 degrees,, yet 84!!!
Jen R

Sassafras & LuLu said...

Hi Karen,
I am getting behind on my bloggin and visits. Hope all is well. I really love your photo of the hummingbirds and nest. WOW! Thanks for sharing.
Are you workin on your Easter Basket Swap? Just finished a time consuming swap and now workin on mine. You will have fun receiving your first swap!

Hugs,
Carol

byrningbunny said...

I'm roaming far afield today, looking for Heads or Tails Tuesdays participants. What a pleasure to find you and to read about Spring! I miss hummingbirds. There are so many in CA and they are so fun to observe. I'd never seen an actual nest before though. How did you get them to let you take a pic?!

Enjoy the sunshine with your bunny!

Miss Sandy said...

How extraordinary to see a real humming birds nest! Lovely!

Karen, I stopped in to extend an invitation to a blog event I am hosting on Thursday, March 20, 2008, An Easter Parade, in celebration of the first official day of Spring and Easter. A give away will be held in conjunction with the event. For full details see todays blog post. I hope to see you there!