Follow by Email

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Surf City 4th

I love the fourth of July. It is an all-day affair. Some dear friends of ours have a beyond wonderful party on their lawn and in their home that faces, --of course-- MAIN street where quite a large group of us gather to watch the parade, enjoy incredible food and great company with friends. All of the college kids are home for the summer and my eldest had a great time with his high school buddies. My youngest had a great time with old and new friends. My hubby and I sat with a front row view of the parade and didn't miss a thing. The parade was at a standstill here for a few minutes and this little patriot couldn't wait to get out there and join the band. He started out in a white shirt.....after snow cones and other goodies.....no more white.

This is always one of my favorite parts of the parade....The Veterans. This sweet little man held on and shook every hand he could. They stopped right after this photo was taken and I heard him say to his driver..."They are all standing up." He got out and shook everyone's hand that was within reach, then he walked a little of the parade shaking hands along the way....It warmed everyone's heart to see how happy this man was that we were showing him his so deserved respect and appreciation.

Of Course, what would a parade be without a band....there are lots of high school bands. I love them all, but nothing compares to the band of the era when Independence was won.

And of course we wouldn't have freedom if it weren't for the reality of this photo.


Isn't he great with the corn-cob pipe?

And last, but not least....adorable animals.
I hope you all had a wonderful 4th with family and friends. Last year we were in Italy on the fourth and it seemed so strange to not see any reminders of the fourth around us. We missed it. This definitely made up for it.
XOXOXO
KAREN EILEEN





12 comments:

Teresa Sheeley ~ French Poppy said...

What a sweet parade; we do not have one where I live, so these were really sweet photos to look at. I have enjoyed looking around you blog so much, just love it. Thanks for stopping by mine, so I could find you. :)

Cheers,
Teresa

FrenchGardenHouse said...

It all looks wonderful! Glad you had such a great time.:)
xo Lidy

Lana said...

It looks so wonderful! Thank you for sharing your day with us!

Mermaid Queen said...

So glad you had a Happy 4th Karen Eileen! I had a great time at the street fair. Your photos are so wonderful, I especially love the little boy in front of the band. Take care! OX Martha

SweetAnnee said...

Oh I love your blog..your etsy
and so glad I got to visit you.

Happy Sunday..Deena

The Other Side of Me said...

Hi Karen,
Looks like you had a great 4th. The parade was great.

To answer your question, I spent the last 10 yrs. in Canada but moved back to GA last year. We are dual citizens of both the US and Canada.
Have a good week.
Tammy

Barb said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time. The photo's reminded me of the 4th of July parades in the midwest. We don't have anything like that out here and I miss it!

Great pictures!

hugs,
Barb

TattingChic said...

What a fun Fourth of July...a parade and a party. How fun for you and your family and friends. Thanks for the pics.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Karen Eileen,
What a beautiful blog you have! And what a great parade! I would have so enjoyed that! And now I feel I've been there!
I'm glad to discover you!
Becky

Rebecca Ramsey said...

PS. I added you to my favorites. When I saw your Amelie picture, I knew we'd be friends!

Her Vintage Stage said...

I was there too, on holiday. Love your blog, have to add to mine. Sandy.

Miss Rhea said...

Wow, thank you for sharing !! The baby is adorable, sounds like you had a wonderful day !! :)