Follow by Email

Friday, September 12, 2008

Love of our hearts

Last night during dinner we got a phone call that our cat had been hit by a car. We flew out the door with a towel to take her to the emergency vet......it was too late. My son rode his skateboard around the corner and was the first one there. She was just laying in the street. Completely still. My husband said she was still alive so we picked her up and were on our way to the vet when I noticed her eyes were fixed and she wasn't breathing. I think maybe her movement was her last reflex. Abby was an Abbysinian that we have had for five years, since kitten. My husband is allergic to cats, but loves them so much that I bought her for him for christmas. SHe was originally meant to be an indoor cat. Then, I actually would let her in the garden with me...on a leash. How crazy is that? She finally got her way and was allowed to be an outdoor-indoor kitty. She had the perfect life. She was home most of the time, but had her out-door excursions for lizards and bird chasing. She was so good at bird catching that I put a bell on her. I will miss hearing that little bell around the house.

We are so sad. We love our animals with our whole hearts. They bring so much joy to our home....and with great joy comes great sorrow.

13 comments:

Mermaid Queen said...

I am so sorry for you Karen Eileen. I know how much it hurts to lose an animal you loved, especially so tragically. You're in my prayers.
~Martha

Diane of Crafty Passions said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your pet, it hurts to lose them ,you love them and treat them as part of the family.
Diane

Sophee-a Laroo Bijoux and Sheri too said...

I completely understand.....Our Himalayan that we had for about 6 years was killed by US on Memorial day....we did not know he was up under the car. We just started letting him do the indoor/outdoor thing too.
So sorry for your loss~Sheri

My Petite Maison said...

Karen Eileen,
I am so sorry to hear this news. How nice that you had Abby and she enjoyed life with a loving family and was doing what she loved.

I constantly worry about my cats being outside and my husband always says "they're doing what they love". It is so true.

I wish I could send my Zeke over to give you a big fluffy hug. You are in my thoughts. It is wonderful knowing that there are animals that have wonderful, loving families - Abby couldn't have wanted/needed more.
xo~Tracie

Miss Maddie's said...

I am so sorry to hear of your dear Abby's passing.Our pets become so entwined in our lives that we mourn their loss dearly.
I enclosed my front veranda with lattice years ago so my Siamese have the adventure of outdoors(moths and birds included) with the safety of indoors.
Hold fast to her memory.
xo Susan

The Other Side of Me said...

Hi Karen,

I am so sorry to hear about yur lovely cat. That picture of her in the window is so pretty.
Big hugs to you on this sad day.

Tammy

Molly said...

Tearing up as we speak. I have an old cat that is still healthy but I know is at the end of her life. Just thinking about her not being here makes me choke up. I am so very sorry for your loss. There are no words. My heart is with you all. XOXXO

FrenchGardenHouse said...

KAren,

I am so sad for all of you. I know you will miss this sweet kitty a lot.

Abby loved her life with you. Kitties like to play outside.:)
xo Lidy

Simply Me Art said...

Oh, I am so Sorry. We lost a cat also the same way. It truly is such a loss to the whole family when a pet pass's away. Im so very sorry. Jamie

Shabbyfufu said...

Dear Karen, thank you for popping over to my blog to introduce yourself last nite:-). I am truly sorry for your loss and know how painful it is to lose a beloved fur baby.
Your blog is lovely and enchanting place to visit! ~Best wishes, Janet~

Barb said...

I am so very sorry for your family's loss. Abby will now watch over you. It sounds like she had a perfect life with you.

hugs,
Barb

Lee W. said...

Sorry about your baby. I had a similar loss in January. I bought a Norwegian Forest Cat, that eventually became indoor-outdoor. He was hit right in front of our house. My neighbor was kind enough to call and tell me when he saw him, but he had been dead for awhile. It broke me heart. I still miss that boy.

Tricia said...

So sorrry about your beautiful kitty!
Thanks for leaving the comment about my Eddie.
It hurts so much to lose our furbabies, it's true!