Follow by Email

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fruitful Beginnings

For what avail the plough or sail, or land or life, if freedom fail? ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
This weekend my DH and I watched the entire John Adams series. If you have not seen this you must. I know one thing we all have in common in blogland is our love of Jane Austen, Marie Antoinette, bone china, fine antique linens and textiles.....and you know how long the list goes. (Please click on photo to watch video of the making of John Adams)Sometimes we forget that we are all ancestors of the first Americans. All of the traditions, beauty, and culture brought from all parts of the world were woven and spun into our American Heritage.
I am so proud of my Scotch-Irish German Heritage. What I sometimes forget is that my great- grand parents left their homeland to BECOME AMERICANS.

This is a film that is so deserving of every award that it received....it conveys such passionate resolution, and will truly impress upon all Americans the Gratitude we owe and should forever be Thankful for......
Maybe our generation isn't far enough removed from those that came here first to fully appreciate and comprehend the passion of the First Americans. I know that if you watch this with your family you will be touched in a way that you don't often feel....not as a wife, mother, friend.....but as an American whose roots were firmly planted by those that had the courage to come before us.....
(Okay. I am getting off my soapbox now......
Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed - else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

21 comments:

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Love this post. Can't wait to see that series myself, too!
xo Lidy

Sophee-a Laroo Bijoux and Sheri too said...

I agree....great post. That is a series both my hubby and I would enjoy.

Leslie said...

I have not seen this series either. Thanks for the heads-up.

qualcosa di bello said...

thank you for writing about this series. i had forgotten about it, as i have very little time for viewing lately. your words make me want to take some time. i am a first generation american who is proudly american (though i do like my heritage too ;)...my grandmother worked very hard to get here and settle here with my mother, who was a little girl at the time.

& thank you for your kind comments on my blog. it will be my pleasure to spend some time visiting you!

Sandra Evertson said...

Great post!
Sandra

Lana said...

Ok, moved it to the top of my Netflix queue! I had planned to watch it, but hadn't as of yet. Thanks for the reminder!

Atticbabys said...

Love your blog Karen!! It has such a romantic feel with loads of treats for the eyes!! Thanks for visiting mine and the sweet words, & I too, will be back to visit u often!!I believe we have tons in common.

(I can't wait to watch this series too btw!)
Nan

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Hello!

I am celebrating my 100th post. Please stop by and enter my giveaway.

Laura

Jenni B said...

My husband and I have been wanting to watch that series and are really looking forward to it. A couple of weeks ago we went on a vacation to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. I highly recommend the rich, cultrully beautiful area.

Jenni B

Tracie~MPMaison said...

I really enjoyed you on your soapbox - you go Karen Eileen!

I will have to look into watching this series, it sounds wonderful ~ watching it with my relatives from England, Holland and France in mind and a great love. I remember my Grandma saying she came over on a boat at age 8... Something for me to take to heart. Thanks for the reminder ;)
xo~Tracie

La Donna Welter said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and your very nice comment about my paper cuts! It is appreciated! I am busily snipping away, getting ready to open my own little etsy shop! Hoping very soon!
I love your blog so very much! I was just wondering where I sign up for the drawing to have my hair washed by Robert (YES, I am a VERY BIG fan)! I think my heart just skipped a beat...
Hugs,
La Donna

rochambeau said...

Dear Karen Eileen,
What a beautiful and peaceful blog you have here!!
Thank you for featuring this series.
It is right up my alley.
Your baby couture is so, so sweet!

Constance

Mandie said...

I love history. I will have to check that movie out, it sounds great.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Oh, Karen, just watched part I and II and it's amazing! Thanks so much for lending it to me. LOVE this series!!!!
xo Lidy

Peggy said...

I just love your blog! Thank you for stopping by Hidden Haven. I will be back very soon.

debi said...

Hi sweetie!
So glad you stopped by to visit with me on my blog! Take care and LOVE your blog...till next time. XO...deb (the junkin' yaya)

Sara said...

Hello Karen, I've been working DAY and NIGHT!!!!
My Parisian Give Away (valued at $200+) is now posted. This truly has your name written all over it!! You won't believe your eyes! It is my way of showing my heartfelt appreciation for all the support I was given in the infancy of my blog. My Lil' Boutique's Grand Opening is now official too. I'm slowly filling it with my favorite designs and treasures. I'm truly enjoying this blog journey, especially the new friends I'm getting to know through our visits. Thanks for sharing your precious time with me.
*SWEET WISHES*!
Sara

Her Vintage Stage said...

Sounds great, love the old heritage style!

gabriellalucretia.com said...

Hi Karen,
Thought I would stop by to you and Lidy's blog to say "Hello". It was a pleasure to meet both of you and play together for a day. We missed you girls today, we made beautiful bottles and heirloom bracelets with Cindy. Beautiful blog.....Take care...stay in touch...Donna

Ruby Door Designs said...

I saw that movie in Best Buy the other day with my husband and wasn't sure if it was going to be any good so we didn't get it. After reading your blog I might just have to go back and get it. Sounds like it would be a great one. Thanks for sharing.
Jean @ RubyDoorDesigns

Eli's Lids said...

I'll have to check that out. I love history!
http://elislids.blogspot.com/