Follow by Email

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hope in my dreams


Tomorrow begins the last year of my forties.
Birthdays are kind of funny things. We all feel like it is a day that belongs to us alone. Have you ever been in a restaurant and heard people singing happy birthday to another table and you just have to look.... "It's their birthday too!" Somehow we feel a little kinship with that person across the room... It's like your own personal New Years' Eve. New beginnings. "This will be the year I...."

Tomorrow will be a day spent with friends, opening cards, eating cake (better take the doggies for TWO runs today), and being with loved ones. I am truly blessed by the people that surround me. My husband of 21 years; my sons (who still make me home-made cards every year), and my dear, dear girlfriends that are the steel magnolias that I have come to depend on so much for their love, support, honesty... in all that we share in our new creative paths....

we are the keepers of each other's dreams. Whenever we get entangled in the "what if's" and uncertainties of our path.... we are each other's hope with feathers. This is a day of thanksgiving for all of you special women in my life that know me so deeply. I read that in some cultures you give gifts to "other" people on your own birthday....I would love that, for it would truly be a gift from the heart.

Hope is the thing with Feathers

"Hope" is the thing with feathers --

That perches in the soul --

And sings the tune without the words --

And never stops -- at all --

And sweetest -- in the Gale -- is heard --

And sore must be the storm --

That could abash the little BirdThat kept so many warm --

I've heard it in the chillest land --And on the strangest Sea --

Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb -- of Me.

Emily Dickenson

11 comments:

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a beautiful, beautiful post, sweet friend. I am truly blessed to call you friend. And believe me, the 50's are even mo betta than the 40's!!
xo Lidy

see you there! said...

Have the happiest of birthdays. My hope is that all your dreams come true.

Darla

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Happy birthday! What a beautiful post, my friend! I love that poem--it's one of my favorites!
Becky

Andrea said...

What a beautiful post. I wish you the happiest of birthdays!

dede warren said...

Happy Birthday Eileen. You have a whole year to celebrate NOT being 50!!! Yippee!!! enjoy your day with those you love, wishing you all the best!

Mermaid Queen said...

Oh Karen Eileen, what a great post, I needed to hear those words of hope! And a very Happy Birthday to you!
Take care,
Martha

Sassafras and LuLu said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU my dear friend.
Hope it is certainly filled with wishes and dreams and lots of "looking forward"....hope it is spent w/loved ones and friends as you said, especially those hand-made cards to treasure!!!
And may God continue to bless you and your family and business this coming year and beyond,
hugs, hugs,
Carol

Barb said...

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear KarenEileennnnnn,
Happy birthday to you!

What a beautiful post. It made me a little weepy. I have to tell you that the 50's ROCK! I'll be 55 in June (I can't believe it)and so far so good-hehe.

I hope you have a lovely day.

hugs,
Barb

The Other Side of Me said...

HI Karen,

Happy, Happy Birthday! That is so wonderful and I hope you have the best ever.
I hope this year is filled with lots of love and friendship and may all your dreams come true!
Tammy

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

What a sweet post. Hope your day was beautiful. How I enjoyed that poem and giving gifts to others on your birthday, what a great idea... I think that's something I am going to start doing myself. Bet the cake was delicious!
xo~Tracie

Lana said...

Happy belated birthday dear!

I love the HOPE poem by Emily D. I have a framed print in my workroom with that poem on it.

Wonderful post!