Follow by Email

Saturday, February 21, 2009

When you are almost 50...not sleeping....READ THIS!

Dr. Christine Northrop was recently on Oprah giving her expert advice on Menopause. I will be 50 this year, and just like I needed to understand my body when I was having children and read "What to Expect when you are Expecting," This book has become my health bible.

We are one of the first generations to fully research and understand what women go through during this wonderful (Yes, I did say that), stage of our lives. In the early 1900s women typically lived only until 40...thus, they missed it.


Later, it was rarely discussed and women were given medication to help control the "symptoms" .

One of the most wonderful things about this stage in our lives is that we are free to be who we have always wanted to be.....not just a wife, mother, daughter....but

an artistic, creative person.
Dr. Northrup says that women in this stage of life lose the hormones that nature has put there to ensure that we instinctively care for our young ones (and hubbies), and that we can hear our own voice for the first time.....sounds wonderful, doesn't it? Do you find yourself seeking that creative outlet more than any other time in your life? Even if you sweat while you do it?

You can even put sweating to good use.....sweat more. I know that my girlfriends have always been important to me, but even more so now. There is a sisterhood to all of our experiences. We can laugh about it together....

I have always been able to say that I am as old as Barbie. Barbie came out in 1959, the year I was born....now Barbie is a COUGAR!! if you haven't seen the you tube, just google cougar Barbie and you will know what I am talking about. Yikes!! I guess age wise I could be a cougar!!
I don't necessarily want to be a Joan Collins....maybe somewhere between Meryl Streep and Sally Field. I want to grow old gracefully. There is some truth to "Grow old with me, the best is yet to be."

We can still be the Queens of our Castles & Destiny. There is a beauty in wisdom. Even if your upper lip is sweating and you find you have no problem saying something to that person that just cut in line..... where you might have let it go before... and your children are all growing up and have become a little like bad roommates......what was our Dear Lord thinking when he decided to have Menopause and the teenage years happen at the same time?
And I am so grateful to Dr. Northrup's handbook on this new journey that I am beginning....just like when I was expecting both my children I have a lot of "ah-hah" moments while reading this book. If you are nearing, or in the middle or even toward the end of this time in your life don't assume because you've lived with yourself this long that you know all there is to know.....believe me we are all in this together ....eventually.
Hugs & Hormones,

5 comments:

Donna~ Blessed Nest said...

Wow my daughter Tabi will be 13 when I am 50...yikes! I will keep this book in mind but all ready feeling it creep in- pre menopause..

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Hey, have you been holding out on me?? I haven't heard any pearls of wisdom about the big M from your cute lips yet? let's talk. GREAT post!
xo Lidy

cottage farm villa (cottagecharm) said...

Karen Eileen,

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Wow, I opened yours up and first thing I see is Doris Day! LOVE HER! Then Lucy. LOVE HER! Then Marilyn. LOVE HER TOO especially in the Sever Year Itch! Then Sting! LOVE HIM!! We may be kindred spirits. Now I am off to read and look at more. One thing diff is that I have already turned 50. 52 to be exact!

I will put you on my "fave visits"!! Nice to meet you. ~Cheryl

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Oh Karen,
I'm going to have to look this book up. I'm at that before stage... In other words, I don't know if I'm coming or going but I do know I am loving being creative and I've got a hubby that's a saint (well, almost ;)
Happy day!
xo~Tracie

Lori F. said...

Thanks for the info on the book. I have just spent 6 miserable months of intense menopause "joy" (see, I can't even try to hide the sarcasm...worse yet, I don't even want to!) which is so unlike me. I'm going to take a look at the book because at this point I feel only anger and confusion all the while simmering like a pot of slop on the back burner.