Follow by Email

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Old-Fashioned adornments

Accessories with History. Can't you just imagine the story this beautiful piece could tell? How it was given to Ruth by her Great Aunt who saw this Brooch-Clip while on her trip to France for the first time? She was wearing it when Uncle Henry proposed and later gave it to her daughter Bessie upon her engagement.
Emma's mom put these in her white-gloved hands as Billy Watkins was picking her up with his brand new carriage to whisk her away to the debutante ball.

Aunt Rose wore this beautiful hat to many a Social tea. Oh... if these flowers could talk....

Beautiful Mother of Pearl clip-ons....made new with a shiny little bird flair added

Mourning shawl from Victorian times.....the loss of a loved one was honored by wearing black for years at a time.


Black served as a reminder "Go Gently" with me. My heart is broken.
A wonderful way to honor not only those that have left....but those left behind by a daily reminder that time is needed to heal all wounds.

Oh, the meaning and expression that went along with each and every one of these pieces...the joys and sorrows that make up this celebration of life.
I will have these in my Etsy store this weekend.

6 comments:

FrenchGardenHouse said...

You have such a knack with writing about these items, it makes us wonder about their history and love them on the spot.
xo Lidy

wendy humphreys said...

Karen, I love that beautiful brooch! What wonderful pictures you
share with us too!
I do have the book too,
but no invite, I absolutely adore the book it's just amazing.

~xo~
Wendy

Gigi said...

What a cool blog you have! Love your music choices too -- Rickie Lee J. is a big favorite around here.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

That brooch is absolutely beautiful! So many lovely things and wonderful stories too!

Thanks for sharing them, it is wonderful to have such precious treasures!

Barb said...

What a wonderful post Karen.
Have a great weekend.


hugs,
Barb

The Pink Bird House said...

Hi Karen, thanks so much for dropping by my blog for visit and leaving comment to let me know that you were there! Always a pleasure for me to "meet" someone new. My older sisters names are Karen Elaine and Linda Eileen, so your name is bit of both theirs. :-) I noticed that your blog had photos from the film "Out of Africa", one of my favorites. I must add it to my profile list. What a fabulous movie, anything with Meryl Streep has to be great, she is one of the great actresses that does not age, but has roles that grow along with her!! And a picture of Doris Day too, I have her complete movies set on DVD. They are ageless!

You are right about the turning 50, it IS the best yet. I would never have guessed it, but I am so much happier now that I have finally reached that age, as if I can let go of all the worries of arriving at that point, let go of what ever it was that I was expecting at that point, and just sit back and enjoy life now.

Your post was very nice, all those lovely vintage items, I especially loved the black lacey shawls. And what you said about black's meaning, "go gently with me, my heart is broken". How beautiful!

So glad that you were able to find me through Nancy! Take care, and I will be back again. Debby