Follow by Email

Monday, August 3, 2009

The Blissful Bounty

These looked so lovely, I put them in a frame....don't you just love summer tomatoes? These are the fruit of my labor. I LOVE the heirlooms, small sweet ones....every year I look forward to planting new ones. I don't know which I love more....eating them or giving them to others. I realized that my tomatoes come with a cost though....I am VERY particular to whom I bless with these babies....just the other day I brought a brown bag of these jewels to a basketball game. The person of my intent was not there....I couldn't just give them to ANYONE. It had to be someone who would appreciate them. Not let them get moldy on their counter....after asking some of the other moms about home-grown tomatoes, the one with the loudest and most passionate response proved worthy of them.

One of my ABSOLUTE favorites is Fried-green tomatoes. My Dear Friend Lidy and I make it a regular trip to have fried green tomato sandwiches at my favorite restaurant. It has Apple smoked bacon and a to-die for sauce....yummy! (never count calories on seasonal food!) You must take full advantage of the short duration of its presence.

And of course....just all by themselves...no salt even needed. There is nothing better than summer barbeque with fresh sliced tomatoes.


I think it goes beyond comfort food....I think it is Blissful food. Growing your own they are cared for and nurtured for weeks. I love checking for that first hint of red or gold.
I'm telling you it's better than a cake, pie or chocolate souffle. Nothing requires the care and patience like growing your own...and the reward is so great

Perfect for frying:
Here is a great recipe from the Whistle Stop Cafe Website.

Fried Green Tomatoes3-4 green tomatoes1 1/2 cups flour1/2 cup corn meal1/2 tsp salt & peppermilkvegetable oilMix together flour, cornmeal, salt & pepper.
Add enough milk to create a thick batter. Heat 2 inches of oil in a large skillet. Batter each tomato slice, and wipe off excess. Carefully place in hot oil, browning on both sides. (may or may not need turning, depending on the amount of oil) To cool, drain in a colander to keep tomatoes from becoming soggy. Salt to taste.If you don't want to mix your own ingredients, we developed a batter mix that makes perfect fried green tomatoes every time.
Find the batter mix at WhistleStop Cafe website using a hot oil will actually make the tomatoes crispy, but not greasy.

11 comments:

Hollyrocks said...

What a fun summertime blog post! My grandparents are big into gardening, and tomatoes are a staple every year. My grandpa takes a very similar stance about giving his away. Us grandchildren are always worthy, of course. But other than that, he has to really like you before you'll get any of his delicious homegrown tomatoes.

Laura said...

Hi Karen Eileen!
I LOVE summer tomatoes....but I must confess I have never tasted fried green ones before! I will copy your recipe and try it! Thanks for sharing and your pics are fabulous!
Take care, Laura

Andrea - Faded Plains said...

With your beautiful tomatoes and my sweet corn...we could have a feast.

Andrea - Faded Plains said...

With your beautiful tomatoes and my sweet corn...we could have a feast.

Terry said...

Howdy Karen Eileen
Oh how I love summer tomatoes.
One of my fondest childhood memories is the time spent in my great grandmothers garden.
My cousin Toni and I spent summers helping her ,however while I love to eat the fresh off the vine tomatoes I also wanted to please Grandma Mary with a full pail ,not Toni she always ate almost every simgle tomato she picked.
I turn 50 on Friday and was talking to my cousin Toni and yes she still loves her tomatoes fresh from the vine.
Thank you so much for the awesome recipe and those
Gorgeous photos they brought back some very happy memories !
Blessings to you and yours.
Hugs
Happy Trails

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Karen, the BEST Tomatoes ever! I can't even bear to use them in anything, just slice them up and eat them just like that.
xo Lidy

The Stylish House said...

Karen,
I loved the movie. I always wanted to try making fried green tomatoes so thanks now I can!
Cathy

DolceDreams said...

Oh you have made me sooo hungry! Nothing like delicious heirlooms, especially if they are the fruits of your own labours. We are going to focus mainly on tomatoes in our little veggie jardin this year...I hope that they will turn out like yours!
Nathalie

tales from an oc cottage said...

Ok, I totally hate tomatoes...but my dad has always grown them in the yard and summer=tomato season, so they are linked with summer in my memories...and those lovely worms too!;) You sure have an awesome crop!

m ^..^

Bella Dreams said...

Hi Karen! Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment! I appreciate it very much! I actually thought about your beautiful blog last night when I was at Barnes & Noble and saw two great books about Audrey Hepburn for $9.95 each. I don't know....your icon and all I guess....AND your wonderful vintage music! Have a wonderful week.

wendy humphreys said...

Thanks Karen for sharing the recipe, I remember last year when
you and Lidy went to go have a fried green tomatoe sandwhich.
They sound wonderful!
Great photos too!
~xo~
Wendy