Follow by Email

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Path Before us

My trip to Breckenridge was a journey into my past I guess you could say. This is my great Aunt May and My grandmother Ruth Kirkpatrick. They had a ranch in Breckenridge. Here they are the two sassy pure-blooded Irish Lassies striking a pose at AuntyMay's Ranch about 7 miles outside of town. This is the historical marker that sits on the property of her home in town. I always knew about it, but had never visited. My dad and uncle spent their summers here as young boys, helping on the ranch and getting into trouble in their spare time. It was an innocent time. A beginning. 1922.

The Gold Rush was on and Uncle Olaf (Johnson, aunt May's husband) was a gold engineer and came here to strike it rich. He earned a decent living and my sweet aunt Lillian still wears the gold nugget that he gave to her when she and my uncle spent their honeymoon here. She still tells me stories of how they would sneak off to the forrest for some romance and the deer were always a captive audience.


I imagined my dad as a young boy....just running in this yard.



scampering up the steps for a refreshing drink of lemonade.....then back out again.


I stood at this door for quite a while. I knew that his hand must have touched this door a hundred times....my sweet uncle who is still living, as well. And my grandma and Aunt May, whom I never met. My family was here. RIGHT here. Where I am now. It was a moment for me. I feel emotional just writing about it.



Here I am on her porch. It has been lived in by the same person since the 50's. He was out of town ( a neighbor told us). So I very boldy looked in the windows, sat on the porch....
this was part of my heritage and I wanted to soak it up.


This is the only train of it's kind in the U.S. It was loaned to Breckenridge by the Canadians. (Those Canadians are always so gracious. ) The snow was so bad at times that the town couldn't receive mail or supplies......so this acted as a giant snowplow....I am giving you my Vanna White.





The barn across the street. I loved standing in the front of the house and seeing what they saw so many years ago.



A statue to represent the foundations of this beautiful town.

This is an upstairs window thatI imagine my father looked out of many times. Maybe to watch the snow fall in winter, a deer and her new fawn cross the street, or maybe just to pass the time and daydream of what was to come....
I cherish this time at Breckenridge.
My sweet Dad has been gone for a long time now. He wanted to be cremated and cast in the sea....I always felt a little sad that there wasn't a place I could go to to visit him.....now I have found it, and along with him, so many others from my past. We will take our boys here this winter. We will ski, admire the beauty and they will hear stories of people they never met that are and forever will be a part of them.

16 comments:

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a touching post, dearest friend. I love it, and yes, it's tear inducing. I am so glad you had this time in Breckenridge, and sweet loving memories of not only your Dad, but the rest of your family!
xo Lidy

kerryveale said...

your journalling and photos combine to make a sentimental and heartfelt record of your past... thanks for sharing these with us!

BellaRosa said...

What a beautiful post...my heart was with you seeing all those places your family had been before you. It is an amazing, touching feeling. Thank you for sharing your journey and pictures with us all. Rose

Mermaid Queen said...

What a blessing it was for you to be able to go back and see where your family lived. Your description of the doorknob brought tears to my eyes. The older I get, the more important family becomes to me. Thanks for this sweet post.
Take care,
Martha

Kimberly said...

Karen, really nice thanks for sharing. I am so glad you were able to visit this special place with your husband and that your children will get that opportunity this winter. I loved the picture of the window!
Kim

Love Where You Live said...

Breck is only about a 90-minute drive to Salida!
Hope to see and meet you one of these days. Great history, you have. cheers-susan

DolceDreams said...

Isn't it amazing to walk in the steps your family has walked in bygone days...it sounds like you had a very moving trip. I wish my family's history were closer, so that I could share with my sons more often.
Have a great weekend,
Nathalie

Thistle Cove Farm said...

A great post; enjoyable reading about the town and, most of all, your family. The photo of the window is especially nice.

cottage farm villa (cottagecharm) said...

I was very touched by this post! The picture of the door knob and your words sent chills through my body. What an amazing moment!

Eli's Lids said...

Wow! That must have been so amazing to see the house. I wish you would have been able to go inside the house.
(cute outfit in front of the train!)

Piney Rose said...

Hi Karen, Just stopped by for a visit and I love your blog, your etsy shop, and that wonderfully gorgeous crown pendant. Darn, I wish I had come by sooner to enter! Will be watching for your shop opening.

TiffanyJane said...

Beautiful photos with lovely sentiment behind them~
Have a great day~
Tiffany

farmhouse wares said...

This is such a beautiful post. Thanks for giving me a peak into your family's past.

Elise said...

It is just lovely !

{ L } said...

Beautiful ways that you described all of this! Breckenridge is a gorgeous place. I enjoyed your post. By the way, I am IN LOVE with your blog colors and background!

Mumzie said...

What a wonderful post. Brought tears to my eyes dear one. First time on your blog, I came to read the "Family Chain" poem. Thanks so much for sharing. Mumzie