Follow by Email

Friday, February 12, 2010

I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's day. My hubby and I went to the Huntington Library Museum....I imagined a day of strolling through the gardens and admiring beautiful art.....along with thousands of other people! It was so crowded that there was no parking left....so we spent the day in Pasadena shopping and having a wonderful lunch.

There is always so much "TO DO" about this romantic day. This is a reflective day for me this year. Three of my dearest friends are getting divorced or heading in that direction.

I am blessed to be happily married for 23 years. But this has made me think of what REAL love is, not the romantic brings-you-flowers- kind of love, but REAL Love. So I have made a list of some of the things in my marriage that have carried us through....

LOVE IS...
*When you feel so sick that you can't go to the doctor, and he puts your jacket on, combs your hair, walks you to the car and takes you
* When he never complains about a single thing you cook.....just let's you know what his "favorites are."
* Taking the cat to the Vet when it was hit by a car (eventhough incredibly difficult for you,) because you know how much he loved her.
* Going to Sci-Fi movies because he loves them.
*Going to Romance movies because she loves them.
* Being happy that you have friends to spend time with and encouraging you to go.
*Letting you have whatever animals will make you happy, even if it means spending hours building a chicken coop for them.
* Whenever you complain about sagging, pooching or flabbiness....he says. "Oh honey, Grow Old with me."
One of the defining moments for the man I married was when we were first married and I asked him thatquestion: "What would you do if you found out I was unfaithful to you? " He quickly asked me what I would do.....I proceeded to say, "WELL!! I would.....and then I informed him of where on the curb his clothes would be, et cetera....(You can fill in the blanks....) And then when I asked him what he would do... he said. "I would fight for you."
That is so right on so many levels. Thank goodness we have never faced this challenge, but marriage is work, putting the other person's needs ahead of your own at times....and if you both do this and guard your words and hearts from anything that could divide you......that, is Love.




9 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Such a precious, precious post....I love it all ~ Sounds as if you both surely found your soul mate.....hugs and love, Dawn

Pinecone Camp said...

That is a really sweet post. Congratulations on being married for 23 years - fantastic!

lisa said...

Karen that was Beautiful!! It makes us all stop and remember what love really is. Thank you for the loving post.

Anonymous said...

Karen that was Beautiful!! It makes us all stop and remember what love really is. Thank you for the loving post.

LemonyRenee' said...

Oh, I love this. Your husbands answer, "I would fight for you." gave me goosebumps. You're a lucky girl . . . and so am I, I am happy to say.

cottage farm villa said...

Wow, what a thoughtful post! Your hubby sounds a lot like mine.... we are on year 32! It is always so wonderful to hear of long successful marriages...and yes, they are a lot of work ~ but a commitment worth the work!

kay ellen said...

Ah~~~ so romanitc:)

I love it!

Bless you both,

Kay Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hello. Great job. I did not expect this on a Wednesday. This is a great story. Thanks!

Rose Garden Romantic said...

What a sweet post! Sounds like you two really do know what true love is. I love the "Oh honey, grow old with me." That's really sweet. I have a sweetheart husband, too, for almost 17 years now. Aren't we so blessed?
Michelle