Follow by Email

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Business of Bliss

It has been a while since I have had a nice chat with you all. My business was growing leaps and bounds....YEAH!!! at first.....I became so busy with the day-to-day work of filling orders and invoicing that I began to feel like my bliss had turned into a sweat shop. Literally, because of the heat press that I use for my images.I had been slow to come up with new designs and felt the pressure from my three showrooms to create more and more, while I was still trying to keep up with orders and paperwork.
This was my first business. It grew from a very small place. I guess you could call it playing store is my passion. I love to create, but just as much as that, I love to give gifts and share great finds with my friends.
I am at a crossroads.....if I grow I become a manufacturer....if I don't....I can still be shop girl and keep a few house accounts.


I know that business takes time.....I have given soooo much time and this is probably the first year that I will show a profit. Now comes the time to weigh the choices. I have decided to follow my heart and just have a retail site, along with my Etsy to share and sell my designs and finds. I will have more time to do what I love...like this. Being in over 200 stores sounds wonderful, but when you don't have the time to garden and enjoy a good book....... I do believe you can have it all...as long as you know what is most important first.
xoxoxoxo



5 comments:

MJ Ornaments said...

Congratulations on your company's growth Karen, and also on understanding what's important in life. :)
Take care,
Martha

Barb said...

I think you have your priorities lined up just right. I can relate to this post. We only have so much time on earth and we need to do what is right for us.

big hugs,
Barb

Holly Loves Art said...

So glad to hear that everything is going so well. I think Sept. is turning out to be a great month for so many people! I just LOVE the photo of the dog on the right side - sitting with her paws up and resting on the rose patterned chair arm. She looks like a Cavachon (Bichon and King Charles Cavalier Spaniel) to me. Am I right? She is stunning!

Have a great day!
Holly

red.neck chic said...

Ah... I feel that I have found you at just the right time (and Thank You for finding me!!!)

I absolutely understand where you are coming from - and I applaud your decision!!! I can't wait to own my own shop (and perhaps get busier with my Etsy site!) but I'm with you... I don't ever want to be a "manufacturer". Thank YOU for sharing your decision - and GIRL! I'M LOVING YOUR BLOG!!!

I think I've seen like 50 things already that need to come live with me....
;-D robelyn

FrenchGardenHouse said...

yippee! Exit, sweatshop girl, enter, entrepeneur on a different road. Applauding you always, in everything you do, sweet friend. xoxo Lidy